Saturday, December 30, 2006

My Car

So, Dec 19th, I was goofing around coming home from M-Tech. I was goofing around and jumped some railroad tracks at around 30. Some tracks this is no big deal, however these ones were like a jump. Here is a picture of the ascent and descent coming off the tracks. "picture --> / \ <--" . See, its basically a jump. I ended up braking the cross member that holds up the transmission. :eek: . So Thursday (Dec 28th) I got it towed and fixed. When they towed it, here were the conditions of my car.
1. Broken cross member
2. Couldn't shift out of drive (yes its was sitting in drive for 9 days straight) due to #1
3. Flat tire. I'm guessing the jump may have caused this but am not positive.
4. Dead battery. Seeing as I couldn't get out of drive I couldn't take the keys out leaving it in the on position ("not running").

So I got it back and it was quite less than what friends/family told me it was probably going to cost.
Friends/Family Verdict: $700+
Estimate from Rays Auto: $200 - $300 + tow
Total (including tow and tax): $306 (without tax like $299.9x)

I was pretty happy and had the money to pay for it. w00t!

In the end, I learned a lesson. Screwing around in the car can cost you money. For me, putting money into getting my car fixed is probably one of the last financial things I want to do, so lesson learned.

No comments: